Bringing in fresh new light for the new year. How to do Energy Clearing, known as smudging, in your Space:
Happy New Year! We’ve all had our fill of 2020. A year of loss, sadness, disruption, and division. I’m sure few, if any, are sad to see it go. A friend recently suggested opening the front door at midnight to let out the old year and invite the new year in. Great idea! However, there’s something you can do to take it a step further. Smudging is a simple energy-cleansing technique you can perform on your home, your workspace, or even yourself.
There are several herbs used in smudging, known as “smudge-sticks.” The herbs are tied together with a string to create a stick or wand effect. You can also use actual wood sticks or loose herbs in a fire retardant bowl. Some common herbs used for smudging are:
- Sage and White Sage
- Cedar, Pine, or Sandalwood incense
- Sweet Grass or Lavender – for calming
- Palo Santo
Palo Santo is a fragrant wood for incense and healing. It’s commonly used in South America, in both urban environments and in the Amazon. The name means “wood of the saints.” If you are Catholic and have attended mass regularly, palo santo may smell familiar to you.
There are many ways to clear the energy in a space, some are more elaborate, ceremonial type methods, but it can also be a fairly simple technique. The 2nd most important aspect, along with burning the herbs, is your intention. Here is a basic guide to smudging your space; letting go of negative energy and bringing in positive energy for a fresh new start in 2021:
- Begin by tidying up. Eliminate clutter as much as possible. You don’t want to energetically cleanse a space that has places where energy can get caught in and stagnate.
- Create a strong intention in your mind of what you want to let go of and what you want to bring in. Write it down on a piece of paper so you will remember it. Say it out loud as you enter each room. Verbalizing intentions makes them stronger.
- Burn the incense, sage, or wood stick to dispel the negative energy. Once the stick begins to glow, blow out the flame and put it in a shell, or hold a fireproof bowl underneath to prevent the falling ashes from burning.
- Start at the front door and move counterclockwise along the entire perimeter of the room. Wave the smoldering sage or wood stick in an up and down motion to allow the smoke to permeate the entire area. (you may have to re-light it if you’re not getting enough smoke).
- Outline windows and doors, as well as paying close attention to the corners of a room. You can also clap your hands in corners or small, closed off areas where energy can stagnate. If the energy is thick, your clap will be dull. The more you clear the energy, the louder your clap will sound. Be sure to go inside cabinets and closets as well. If your home has two floors, begin on the first floor then go upstairs and repeat the process, again in a counterclockwise direction. As you wave the smudge-stick, state your intention in each room.
- After the room is cleansed, repeat these words, “Thank you for the disintegration of all negative energies, thoughts, and emotions from this room now.”
- When the smudging is complete, open East windows and doors to allow fresh energy in. Energy clearing during daylight hours with sunshine is always best.
- Imagine brilliant white light filling your entire space. Visualize your home, office, or business emanating white light and positive energy, blessing yourself and everyone who enters.
- Light a white candle or burn incense as a way to conclude the blessing and strengthen your intentions. You can do this on a regular basis; once a week, or even once a day if need be, to help keep the space clear.
Show gratitude, always, for the good things in your life. Feel confident that the energy in your home is fresh and ready to receive all the opportunities the new year has in store for you.
Even though the ball has dropped and we’re into the start of a new year, it’s not too late. You can still apply this technique at any time, but the sooner you clear out the old energy, the sooner your space will be open and clear to allowing new energy in.
Many Blessings for a Happier, Healthier, and Better…New Year!